Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Marco - Polo

This weekend Ron and Jennifer were both fighting off some bug, so I took Zach and Zoey to church with me and afterwards went to our favorite restuarant, El Magueys.  So far the day was going well.  I thought I might try to keep the kids out a little longer since their mom was so tired.

Every day on my way to work I pass the big A-Maise-ing Corn Maze. Tickets were just $5 for the maze and $2 for the hayride, so in we went.  AFTER we paid for the  tickets we were handed a detailed aerial view of a THREE ACRE maze.  It was indeed, AMAZING. There was a jack-o-lantern, and a large star, figure 8's and more. There were posts throughout the maze letting you know if you were on track or not. Two of the three posts we found were "mystery" posts.  That just meant there were no hints as to where we were!

We didn't time ourselves, but in the length of time we were in the maze, we found three separate and distinct entrances!!! The kiddos were real troopers.  Zach noticed all kinds of details which told us we had been around that particular bend before, and Zoey stated she wasn't going to quit.  So we pressed on.  Me in my new dress shoes and newly formed blister, and two children with boundless energy running ahead calling Marco - Polo, always in earshot even though I couldn't see them.

About 10 minutes before our last exit we all had been amazed enough and were ready to see grass and sky again.  We found refuge at a nice picnic table where we were offered a free cup of fresh pressed apple juice.  It was just enough to move us on to the fort next to the pond full of swans.  The kids climbed the fort and I sat on the pond bank and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

While we were there we joined a family that was going to feed some starlight mints to the horses.  We were honored to tag along just to watch.  The mom convinced Zoey to open her hand to the horse and let him take a mint.  Their mouths are sure big, especially next to a five year old's hand. What a brave child!

The hayride came and went and was pretty uneventful except that we were all covered in field dust when we got back.  Feeling dirty and parched, we stopped at a fancy ice cream parlor and stuffed ourselves before going home.   I don't get to be the grandma that does special things very often, so it was a real treat for me.

I'm pretty sure next year I will look for a nice corn maze that doesn't need a GPS to get through, and come prepared with a nice pair of tennis shoes for the occasion..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I played grandma tonight--all three grandkids at a Japanese restaurant where a hibachi chef entertained us in addition to grilling our meals and tossing food in our mouths. Not $5 a person. Love, k