Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Like Apples of Gold

I've been involved with a web group called 29days since Sept. 08. the premise of this group is to give something away every day for 29 days. Well, I did that and went on to blog for the next 4 rounds of 29 days. I haven't been so good at blogging there lately, but I still have been making a conscious effort to give something every day.

Tonight at work I was called to the register when a customer was trying to use a pre-paid credit card which still had about $4.80 left on it. We tried everything we could think of to get the card to work, but we remained unsuccessful. Behind her in line was one of our regular customers who was waiting patiently for her turn and watching as this mini drama unfolded. Then she whips out five dollars and says in a sweet voice, "oh, here, honey, I have $5....you just take it."

Customer A says, "Oh, I can't."
Customer B says, "Honey, I've spent more than $5 on stupid stuff today that I didn't need. Let me help you out. Please, let me help you."
Customer A accepts graciously and says, "Don't worry, I'll pay it forward."

It is hardly even a story worth repeating, except when you think about how each of us has an opportunity to affect change in our world, even if it is just a small kindness like this, or just a kind word spoken at the right time.

Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances. Proverbs 25:11

1 comment:

Shelly said...

That's so ture, Jan. Thanks for a good reminder.